In class we got experience learning how to screencast, edit videos, and use H5P tools. Do you have any experience with these technologies? If not, we followed this workshop if you would like to learn it for yourself https://uviclibraries.github.io/video-editing/screen-recording.html.

H5P

H5P tools are a way to add interactive content to your videos. From my experience learning about H5P tools I believe it can be a useful tool for multiple ages of students. I think using H5P tools in primary years may not work well, especially if some students do not have experience with technology, do not know how to read the question prompts, or have trouble self-regulating themselves. However, for students in grade 4 and up I think this would be a great tool to introduce subjects and check understanding.

Video/Audio Editing

I do not know yet what grade level or subjects I will end up teaching. I personally used video editing multiple times in high school and really enjoyed making video projects. However, I believe you could teach video/audio editing to students from grade 3 and up. Children nowadays seem to love Youtube and I think they would be excited to learn how to make their own Youtube videos. One project that I think would be adaptable to any grade level would be to have students video tape themselves acting out a scene from a book they are reading for class then edit it. Something like that would help students engage in the material better and will make them remember the content for longer because they were actively involved in it. However, for younger students some adult supervision would be necessary to ensure they are working appropriately and adaptions may need to be made for privacy if parents do not want videos of their children.

Multi-Media Learning Theory

Multi-media learning theory gives educators insight into general ideas to help students engage in instructional videos. It involves dual-code theory and other insights into what combination of audio, video, and text works best for learning. From watching videos about multi-media learning theory, it seems important to understand that these ideas will not work perfectly for every student. It does involve a lot of great ideas like not having too many words on a slide or not using too much big head talking videos. I, however, find that I have trouble engaging when I listen to someone speak without words to follow. Everyone will learn differently though so it can be helpful for educators to try out different parts of multi-media learning theory to figure out what works for their class.

My Video