The term digital footprint is new to me but the idea is something I was already familiar with. A digital footprint is the data that is left behind when you do anything on the internet which shows where you have been. It includes things like browsing history, videos posted, tagged pictures, and messages to people. This website explains digital footprints and has a video about it aimed towards kids https://www.betterinternet.sg/Resources/Resources-Listing/Youth—digital-footprints. It is important that kids understand how the internet works so they do not make mistakes they will regret later. As a teacher you are a valuable source of information so it is important that you teach students what a digital footprint is and how to have a positive presence on the internet because they may not get that information at home. In our learning pod we agreed that it is important to teach students about the good and the bad parts of the internet so they can learn how to navigate it. When I was younger I was taught that the internet is a scary place that you should be careful in and although that can be true, I have also learnt a lot on the internet and view it as a valuable tool. As a teacher you will most likely use technology or the internet in some form so you can model to your students how to have a good digital footprint.

Photo by Min An from Pexels

When I googled myself there were only a couple of results that were actually connected to me. Facebook came up as an option but my profile did not show up. The weirder thing that showed up were obituaries for my grandparents that my name was mentioned in. I had not seen them before and I thought it was kind of weird that they were posted to the internet but I guess it is no different than when they used to put them in newspapers. Overall, I am okay with everything that I found but I also did not have a strong internet presence.

For social media I feel like I have always been good at keeping things private and not oversharing. Jesse Miller did a great presentation on social media and I learnt some things that I did not know. My social media presence currently is very limited, I rarely post pictures or interact online so it was not relevant now but the information would have been useful when I was younger and more active on social media. I did change my personal instagram account to private, not because there is anything bad on there but just because I don’t need everyone able to see it.

Please enjoy my green screen video using the chicken clip provided plus some video and audio I found on Creative Commons, citations are found at the end of the video.