Materials

For my project I will be making a T-shirt with my Cricut. What I mean by that is I will be cutting out text or images with my Cricut and transferring that onto a T-shirt with an iron. The materials needed are: a T-shirt, iron-on vinyl, a StandardGrip mat, a weeder tool, and an iron. For ironing you should use an ironing board but if you do not have one, you can put a towel under the shirt to protect the surface you are working on.

An iron, a blue T-shirt, and a roll of black iron-on vinyl; with a green towel underneath.

Creating the design

I used Cricut design space to type out a cute saying then I found a free picture of a plant to add to my design. I selected everything and pressed attach so everything would be cut together instead of cutting each word separately then arranging them on my T-shirt. I measured my T-shirt then resized my design to be 25cm by 15cm. Then I clicked on the green “make it” button in Cricut design space.

"Mistakes help us grow" with a picture of a plant in a pot

Iron-on vinyl

There are a couple of important things when you are working with iron-on vinyl. Firstly, after clicking the green “make it” button, you need to mirror your image. You can see mirror in the side bar under the mat, just click on the switch below it so it is green (like in the picture below).

A screencapture from Cricut design space showing "Mistakes help us grow" mirrored on a mat.

Secondly, make sure you set your Cricut’s dial to iron-on vinyl. When you do this, the program will remind you that you need to mirror your design and place your iron-on vinyl shiny side down. Finally, your iron-on vinyl must be shiny side down on the mat. The coloured material is attached to a clear backing. If you put it dull side down, then you will not be able to get the extra vinyl off the backing thus ruining your design. If everything has been done correctly and you have weeded (gotten rid of extra vinyl) your design, it will look like the picture below.

"Mistakes help us grow" mirrored in black on a green Cricut StandardGrip mat. Extra vinyl has been removed.

Making the T-shirt

I have only made a T-shirt once before, so I followed this tutorial https://sarahmaker.com/make-cricut-shirts/ to help me iron the design onto my shirt.

The first step is to iron your T-shirt for about 10 seconds to get it smooth and ready for the vinyl. Then you place the iron-on vinyl shiny side up onto your T-Shirt. Heat up your iron so it is on the cotton setting which is usually the highest heat it goes. Then you apply heat to the vinyl with low pressure for 30 seconds. Then you flip over your shirt and apply heat to where the vinyl is with low pressure for 15 seconds. I was using everyday iron-on vinyl which needs to cool before you can remove the clear backing. Once it is cool, peel off the backing and your shirt is done. For T-shirt care wait 24 hours before washing the shirt. The shirt can go in the washer and dryer but flip the shirt inside out before washing.

A blue T-shirt on top of a green towel. The T-shirt has black writing that says "Mistakes help us grow" with a picture of a black potted plant beside it.
Photo by Kasey Stockli